Tree Assessment Officer
St Peters Depot
About Inner West Council
Formed from the amalgamation of Ashfield, Leichhardt and Marrickville Councils, Inner West Council is now among Sydney’s larger local government agencies looking after a vibrant community of 185,000 people living in some of the inner city’s most vibrant, creative, liveable and diverse suburbs.
As we continue to deliver quality, innovative and inclusive programs and services, we would love it if you can join in our journey towards becoming the best council for our community.
We are committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity, WHS, sustainability, continuous improvement and business excellence. The community is at the heart of the organisation and Council puts its ‘Values First’ with flexibility, integrity, respect and the spirit of team as a set of values and associated behaviours for all levels in the organisation. We expect commitment to these values from all employees in performing their respective roles
Permanent employees benefit from our great value gym membership from $13.50/week giving access to a vast network of gyms in Sydney.
Sign up to our job alerts here
About the role
Working as part of the Trees, Parks & Sportsfields service unit and reporting to the Coordinator Private Trees, you will assist in the implementation of sustainable tree management services and in maintaining the Inner West Council’s urban forest as a quality, intergenerational resource. This will ensure that the services of Council contribute to the desired community outcomes as outlined in the Community Strategic Plan. You will manage your work to ensure you meet the targets and commitments against your individual and am work plans and Council’s Operational and Strategic Plans. You will be community focused and work collaboratively with the Manager Urban Forest, Coordinator Private Trees and other staff to ensure the success of the service unit.
Please read the Position Description to familiarise yourself with all the requirements and conditions of the role.
$69,809 p.a. to $84,582p.a. + super
- Flexible work arrangements and RDO scheme
- Strong learning and development focus and culture
- Health and wellbeing programs
- To ensure that the management and maintenance of trees throughout the Inner West (private) is undertaken in an effective manner to promote the image of Council as efficient and community focused and responsive in all its operations.
- Achieve the best tree management outcomes to improve the quantity and quality of the Inner West Council’s trees, that will maximise environmental, social and economic value provided by the urban forest to the community.
- Manage workload in the efficient and effective delivery of the following functions and services for Council in accordance with management plans and budgets
- Work in collaboration with all stakeholders
- Keep up to date with current developments in the field/industry
Some of the required skills, experience and qualifications
- Relevant Aboricultural qualifications (AQF 5 or equivalent) or equivalent industry experience in tree management
- Experience in undertaking visual tree assessments, report writing and plan interpretation.
- Experience and knowledge of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act and other planning legislation (e.g. SEPP, LEP, DCP) as it relates to tree management and protection.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
Urban Forest Manager, Gwilym Griffiths on 9335 2242
Friday 22 June 2018, at 11:30pm
How To Apply
Please ensure you read the Position Description at the link above. To apply, follow and answer the questions as required below and click on the "Next" button. On the following page you will be asked to attach your resume/CV. Depending on the criteria of the position, you may also be asked to attach your qualification(s), licences/tickets if it is required. Therefore please make sure you have these attachments ready before you apply.
As this online application system has no save or auto-save feature, please complete your application in one sitting. You may wish to prepare your responses to all the questions in a Word document and then copy-paste them into the relevant field of the form when you are ready to submit.